Chocolate Date Balls
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup pecans (but you can use any kind you like)
- ¾ cup almond meal (or any other finely ground nuts)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chocolate extract (optional – I just wanted to add more chocolate flavor)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
- Soak your dates in hot water for a few minutes to soften.
- Drain and squeeze out excess water.
- Place your pecans, almond meal, and cocoa in a food processor until finely ground.
- Add the dates, vanilla, chocolate extract and sea salt, and pulse until a thick, sticky dough ball forms.
- Remove the dough ball from the food processor – taste and add any other flavors you want.
- Roll the dough into small balls – you should be able to get 18-24.
- Roll the balls in toppings of your choice like cocoa powder, chocolate sprinkles, or flaked coconut,
- Place on a baking sheet and store in the freezer until they are hard enough not to stick together. Transfer to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator or freezer.
Makes: 18 servingsNutritional info per serving: calories 60 / fat 4.3 grams / carbs 5.4 / sugar 3.3 grams / protein 1.6 grams